Teaching, Training & Research
Prime academic functions of SIOVS are:
- To undertake teaching in the principle of surgery with emphasis inOphthalmology;
- To provide training to FCPS Part-II trainees in Ophthalmology, as per policy of College of Physicians & Surgeons Pakistan (CPSP).
- To undertake postgraduate teaching programs such as M.S., F.C.P.S. and Ph.D in Ophthalmology.
- To undertake training of nursing and paramedical staff includingtechnicians both graduates and postgraduates in the field ofOphthalmology;
- To carry out and promote research, surveys, experiments anddemonstrations in Eye disease for prevention of blindness andcontrol of such diseases;
- To publish research papers, studies and such other works as arecompleted at the Institute or are prepared in collaboration withany other similar institute or agency, local or foreign or which areotherwise of substantial value to the Institute;
- To organize seminars and conferences and to promote cooperation with national and international agencies, organizations,institutions and universities in activities falling within the purview of the Institute; and
SIOVS is in process to start BS (Vision Sciences), a four (4) years Undergraduate Degree Program. For this, we are going to establish state of the art Academic Complex with Research Center and Auditorium.
Currently SIOVS offers below mentioned Post-Graduate course in collaboration with College of Physicians & Surgeons Pakistan (CPSP):
|Fellow College of
Physicians & Surgeons
|4-Years Teaching Program|
The training is in form of Lectures, Presentations by postgraduates and supervisors. Clinical skills development in form of case presentations. Surgical training under supervision of the Professor/Associate Professor of SIOVS.
Recently Sindh Medical Faculty recognized SIOVS as the teaching & training institute for conducting below mentioned courses.
|S.NO||NAME OF COURSE||DURATION OF COURSE|
|1||Refractionist Technician||One (1) Year|
|2||Ophthalmic OT Technician||One (1) Year|
Active research takes place in the Sindh Institute of Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences (SIOVS), Hyderabad.
Following are the two Research Papers recently published in International Research Journals:
- Results of a Community-based Screening Programme for Diabetic Retinopathy and Childhood Blindness in District Hyderabad, Pakistan. (British Medical Journal)
- Determination of Risk Factors and treatment of Dry Eye Disease in Type 1 Diabetes Before Corneal Complications at Sindh Institute of Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences. (Banthan Open Journal)