Teaching, Training & Research
Prime academic functions of SIOVS are:
- To undertake teaching in the principle of surgery with emphasis inOphthalmology;
- To provide training to FCPS Part-II trainees in Ophthalmology, as per policy of College of Physicians & Surgeons Pakistan (CPSP).
- To undertake postgraduate teaching programs such as M.S., F.C.P.S. and Ph.D in Ophthalmology.
- To undertake training of nursing and paramedical staff includingtechnicians both graduates and postgraduates in the field ofOphthalmology;
- To carry out and promote research, surveys, experiments anddemonstrations in Eye disease for prevention of blindness andcontrol of such diseases;
- To publish research papers, studies and such other works as arecompleted at the Institute or are prepared in collaboration withany other similar institute or agency, local or foreign or which areotherwise of substantial value to the Institute;
- To organize seminars and conferences and to promote cooperation with national and international agencies, organizations,institutions and universities in activities falling within the purview of the Institute; and
SIOVS is in process to start BS (Vision Sciences), a four (4) years Undergraduate Degree Program. For this, we are going to establish state of the art Academic Complex with Research Center and Auditorium.
Currently SIOVS offers below mentioned Post-Graduate course in collaboration with College of Physicians & Surgeons Pakistan (CPSP):
|Fellow College of
Physicians & Surgeons
|4-Years Teaching Program|
The training is in form of Lectures, Presentations by postgraduates and supervisors. Clinical skills development in form of case presentations. Surgical training under supervision of the Professor/Associate Professor of SIOVS.
Recently Sindh Medical Faculty recognized SIOVS as the teaching & training institute for conducting below mentioned courses.
|S.NO||NAME OF COURSE||DURATION OF COURSE|
|1||Refractionist Technician||One (1) Year|
|2||Ophthalmic OT Technician||One (1) Year|
Active research takes place in the Sindh Institute of Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences (SIOVS), Hyderabad.
Following are the two Research Papers recently published in International Research Journals:
- Results of a Community-based Screening Programme for Diabetic Retinopathy and Childhood Blindness in District Hyderabad, Pakistan. (British Medical Journal)
- Determination of Risk Factors and treatment of Dry Eye Disease in Type 1 Diabetes Before Corneal Complications at Sindh Institute of Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences. (Banthan Open Journal)
- Effects of intra-cameral Dexamethasone after uncomplicated phacoemulsification. (In process)
- Effect of age on Corneal Endothelial Cell Density in healthy population of Sindh, Pakistan. (Paper submitted)
- Fariha S. Wali, Sajjad Ali Surhio, Rafeen Talpur, Muhammad Jawed, Naeemullah Shaikh, ShehnillaShujaat, Khalid I. Talpur,Pachymetric analysis of central corneal thickness as a measure of endothelial function after phacoemulsification, Asian Journal of Ophthalmology. (Accepted)
- Rafeen Talpur, Muhammad Jawed, Fariha S. Wali, FaislaTaqvi, ShehnillaShujaat, Role of Intravitreal bevacizumab (Avastin) in diffuse diabetic macular edema, Pakistan Journal of Ophthalmology, 2018.
- Mirza AA, Nizamani NB, Memon MN, Surhio SA, Talpur KI. Glaucoma and Ocular Hypertension in PseudoexfoliationSyndrome.Pak J Ophthalmol 2015. 31:2: 83-8.
- Azfar Ahmed Mirza, Noor BakhtNizamani, MariyaNazishMemon, Sajjad Ali Surhio, Khalid I. Talpur. Glaucoma and ocular hypertention in Psudoexfoliation syndrome. Pak J Ophthalmol. April-June 2015 vol:31.
- Nizamani NB, Surhio SA, Memon S, Talpur KI. Axial Length Variability in Cataract Surgery.JColl Physicians Surg Pak 2014. 24(12): 918-21.
- Memon M, Surhio SA, Memon S, Nizamani NB, Talpur KI. Sight Threatening Diabetic Retinopathy In Type – 2 Diabetics. Pak J Ophthalmol 2014. 30:1:4-9.
- Nizamani NB, Talpur KI, Surhio SA. Masquerade Syndrome: Retinoblastoma presenting as Sympathetic Ophthalmia.Pak J Ophthalmol 2014. 30:1:52-5.
- Nizamani NB, Bhutto IA, Talpur KI. Authors’ Response to the letter to Editors by Huisingh et al:A Cluster of Urrets-Zavalia Syndrome: A Sequel of Toxic Anterior Segment Syndrome.Br J Ophthalmol 2014;98:414.
- Sajjad Ali Surhio, Muhammad Memon, Rafeen Talpur, Khalid Iqbal Talpur. Efficacy of Nepafenac 0.1% in maintaining mydriasis during phacoemulsification surgery. Jlumhs, may-Aug 2013, Vol 12.
- Sajjad Ali Surhio, ShahzadMemon, Muhammad Memon, Noor BakhtNizamani, Khalid I. Talpur.Alcohol related toxic optic neuropathy, Pak J Ophthalmol, July-sept 2013, Vol 29.
- Nizamani NB, Bhutto IA, Talpur KI. Cluster of Urrets-Zavalia Syndrome: a sequel of toxic anterior segment syndrome. British Journal of Ophthalmology 2013 Aug 97(8):976-9.
- Nizamani NB, Talpur KI, Memon MN.Congenital myasthenia gravis: a rare case report. J Coll Physicians SurgPak 2013, Vol. 23 (7): 517-518.