1. The Institute
Sindh Institute of Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences (S.I.O.V.S) Hyderabad was established by an Act of Sindh Assembly on 9th March 2013 by up-gradation of Liaquat University Eye Hospital. Liaquat University Eye Hospital Hyderabad was established as Eye Hospital Hyderabad in 1963. Incidentally it was the Golden Jubilee of Eye hospital that this up-gradation took place with the relentless efforts of Prof. Dr. Khalid Iqbal Talpur (Founding Director).
2. Vision and Mission Statements
I. To provide high quality eye care services to general population.
II. To teach, train & produce high quality skilled manpower at all levels in the field of Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences.
III. To conduct research activities in the field of Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences.
IV. Prevention & Control of Blindness.
V. To develop close collaboration with national & international institutes & governmental and non-governmental organizations.
SIOVS is located in the city of Hyderabad which is 150 Kilometers north east of Karachi lying on the left bank of mighty River Indus. Hyderabad is the second largest city of the province of Sindh and fifth largest city of Pakistan.
4. SIOVS Milestones
- Started as 50 Bedded Eye Hospital and was established in 1963.
- Attached to Liaquat Medical College (LMC) as Department of Ophthalmology in 1967. (Teaching and Training facility to Undergraduates & Postgraduates for D.O, MS, MCPS, FCPS). Hub for Training of Ophthalmologist of Sindh & Balochistan.
- Eye O.P.D Section Started in 1968.
- Upgraded to 100 Bedded Hospital in 1990.
- Establishment of the Scientific Ophthalmic Research & Diagnosis Laboratory in collaboration with the Higher Education Commission, Islamabad in year 2006.
- Start of Low Vision Aid Clinic sponsored by Sight savers International UK 2007.
- Becomes partner with National PCB in Prevention & Control of Blindness in year 2008.
- 1st solid International Partnership with Fred Hollows Foundation (FHF) Australia under Pakistan Australia-Prevention of Avoidable Blindness (PAPAB) a five year project in year 2011.
- Prof. Dr Khalid Iqbal Talpur proposed to upgrade the Department of Ophthalmology into full-fledged institute, in the meeting of Academic Council of LUMHS Jamshoro in Year 2012.
- Development of Peads Ophthalmology and Vitreo-Retina Subspecialty Clinics in Collaboration with Fred Hollows Foundation (FHF) including infrastructure development, human resources development and equipment supply. Year 2011 to 2013.
- State of the art Pediatric Ophthalmology Sub-Specialty Clinic started functioning in Collaboration with FHF in January 2013.
- SIOVS Act 2013 Unanimously Passed by Provincial Assembly of Sindh by upgrading the status of Liaquat University Eye Hospital into full-fledged autonomous Institute in March 2013.
- State of the art Vitreo-Retina Sub-Specialty Clinic started functioning in Collaboration with FHF in February 2014.
- Screening of Children’s under Five Years for Visually Impairing and Bliniding Eye Conditions & Screening Diabetics for Diabetic Retinopathy Project in Collaboration with Department of Medicine, LUMHS and FHF in year 2014.
- Allocation of Bifurcated budget from Govt of Sindh 2014.
- Functioning of the Diabetic Retinopathy Clinic at Liaquat University Hospital Hyderabad in Collaboration with Department of Medicine, LUMHS and FHF in year 2015.
- Implementation of HIMS with integrated EMR Systems funded by F.H.F in year 2015.
- Addition of the new State of the Art Operation Theater Complex consisting Four (4) Operation Rooms equipped with latest technology in year 2015.
- 1st Meeting of the Board of Directors of SIOVS February 2016.
- Allocation of Rs. 200M in shape of 1st Annual Grant for the Finanacial Year 2016-17 from Government of Sindh Jul 2016.